Must painful lumps and bumps felt on the skin are likely to be acute infections (often Staphylococcus, may be MRSA). Cancers often are painless and may be slowly growing and are not well defined, even doctors find it hard to diagnose cancer by just looking, they need to take a small tissue (Biopsy) and examine it under a microscope.
Boils are infected, pus-filled swellings in the skin that are often located in or near hair follicles. They are most often found on the back of the neck and in other moist areas of the body like the armpits and groin, but may be anywhere on the body. Sometimes several boils form close together in a cluster. A carbuncle is formed when several boils merge to form a single deep abscess with several heads or drainage points. An abscess may be so deep that it may not surface for a long time.
- Furuncle or carbuncle: An abscess in the skin caused by the bacteria Staphylococcus aureus. It can have one or more openings onto the skin and may be associated with a fever or chills. They are less common than single boils; they are most likely to form at the back of the neck and in males. Carbuncles can form in the same areas as boils, and may also form on the scalp, face, and buttocks. Furunculosis is a word that is sometimes used to refer to recurrent boils. Many patients have repeated episodes of furunculosis that are difficult to treat because their nasal passages carry colonies of Staphylococcus aureus. These bacterial colonies make it easy for the patient’s skin to be reinfected.
- Furuncle: A milder version of boils. This is an infection of hair follicles, usually with Staph bacteria. These often itch more than hurt. The appearance is similar to acne pustules.
- Cystic acne: A type of abscess formed when oil ducts become clogged and infected. Cystic acne is most common in the teenage years.
- Hidradenitis suppurativa: An uncommon illness of unknown cause in which there are multiple abscesses that form under the armpits, in the groin area, or under the breasts. These areas are a result of local inflammation of the sweat glands.
- Pilonidal cyst: An type of abscess that occurs in the crease of the buttocks. These frequently form after long trips that involve sitting.
Please watch my video and learn all about “Blanching Rash”.